Melanie de la Tour
Lady Melanie de la Tour[edit | edit source]
Feel free to call me Melanie (MEL-ah-nee)
Persona:[edit | edit source]
- 12th century Anglo-Norman minor noblewoman
- Born in Yorkshire, c. 1125
- Melanie was being groomed to be married to a local nobleman, but she chose to accompany a cousin on crusade to the Holy Land instead (he had a weak chin).
- She married while on pilgrimage in Outremer, but is now amicably separated from her husband (who lives with his mistress). She now concentrates on supporting the arts and good works.
- Interests include: music (vocal and instrumental performance), period music in original languages, bardic composition and performance, religious life and liturgy.
- Link to Calontir Armorial - http://armorial.calontir.org/Pages/MelaTour.htm
> > >
History in the SCA:[edit | edit source]
I found the SCA in 1980, but left the Midwest shortly afterwards. Consequently, until 2015, although a native of Three Rivers, I had never lived in the Kingdom of Calontir. AoA (East) in 2002 from Darius and Roxane Name and device registered (via East) in 2008 Seahorse (East--Ostgardr) in 2013 Golden Swan (Calontir) in 2016 from Matsunaga and Elena
Significant events since then (competitions, championships, tourneys, first event, etc.) * Bardic Champion of the Crown Province of Ostgardr, 2008-2009 * Champion of the Calontir Bardic College (holder of the Big Damn Stick), 2015-2016 * Link to Calontir OP - []
- Groups and Affiliations:
Current Group: Barony of Three Rivers Previous Groups: Crown Province of Ostgardr (greater NYC) Apprenticed to Mistress Morgana Bro Morganwg Guilds, Households, etc: Brother of the Great Dark Horde ([])
1998-2003 - Deputy Seneschal of the Canton of Whyt Whey (NYC--Manhattan) 2007-2008 - Canton Chatelaine, Whyt Whey 2008-2009 - Canton MOAS, Whyt Whey 2009-2013 - Seneschal of the Canton of Whyt Whey (by Ostgardr bylaws, canton seneschals are deputy provincial seneschals and officers of the Crown Province of Ostgardr)
- Other service:
2009-2010 - Staff, Quartermaster's Office, Pennsic 2011-2012 - Deputy Quartermaster, Pennsic 2013 - Staff, Pennsic 2009-2013 - Autocrat for SCA Demo at The Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park (NYC)--a public event co-sponsored by NYC Parks Department and the Medieval Festival Guild of New York, which regularly draws over 40,000 in one day.
- Related Experience
1983-4 - Vendor Coordinator for the Medieval Festival Guild of New York 1985 - Co-Coordinator for the Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park
- Classes Taught
2009-2013 - Walk Like a Phoenician: Belly Dancing in Ancient Sources (Pennsic). Originally piloted as a workshop for the Crown Province of Ostgardr in 2006. Also taught at Gulf Wars, 2012. Powerpoint slides and sources hand-out are available to download. 2009-2013 - Arianism: Going Gothic in the Early Middle Ages (Pennsic). 2011 - Research 101 (Ostgardr Schola) 2016 - Contrafacta: Yes, Filking is Period (Valor). Also taught at Pennsic 2017. 2017 - Ballads: Stories in Song (Pennsic). Originally piloted as an A&S class for the Barony of Three Rivers.
Other Information[edit | edit source]
- My bardic bio is located at: http://tilted-windmill.com/midbards/bards.html#115
- My bardic YouTube channel can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSrSuS3kGILqrBnuOyTX-eg/featured?view_as=subscriber
- Lyrics and documentation for original bardic works:
Eislinn's War (lyrics, music, and documentation): http://tilted-windmill.com/uploads/115-lyric-Eislinns_War.pdf Eislinn's War video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU8TSbtdHAE Ode to Duke Ostwald Return to Calontir
Rat out a Friend[edit | edit source]
where your friends can add accomplishments and comments about things you're too modest to share,
abusive/slanderous content will be deleted