Hugo van Harlo
"Hue-[fricative G]oh, Yonk-here fan Har-loh"
- Calontir Armorial: http://armorial.calontir.org/Pages/HugoHarlo.htm
- Order of Precidence: http://op.calontir.org/persona.php?p=4488
- Registered Heraldry: http://hugovanharlo.com/about/heraldic-arms-badges/
Interests[edit | edit source]
Late Sixteenth Century Dutch History, Cartography, & Print Culture Geek
I am first and foremost a history buff, researching the Dutch Revolt and early Dutch Republic, with a primary focus between the 1576 Pacification of Ghent and the 1591 withdrawal of Spanish troops to France.
I'm also interested in the golden age of cartography and the burgeoning print culture of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, two areas that have inspired my A&S competition entries thus far:
- April 2017, Kingdom Arts & Sciences: Entered Tri-Levels with a map of the Barony of Forgotten Sea and environs and a leatherbound book known as an album amicorum. The map won Judges' Choice.
- September 2017, Valor XXXVIII: Won the "Made On Site" A&S competition with a map of Vatavia in the style of the late sixteenth century.
- September 2017, Queen's Prize: Won Judges' Choice with a map of the northeastern Low Countries.
- January 2018, Twelfth Night: Entered a woodcut-style heraldic arms in pen, in the style of German printmakers.
Persona[edit | edit source]
Rural Dutch Gentry, c. 1575-1590
It is the early 1580s, and the rebellious northern provinces of the Low Countries fight for independence against Habsburg Spain. The realities of the war do not allow Hugo, Jonkheer van Harlo, to peacefully remain only a dutiful member of the local Overijssel gentry. Instead, he has taken to authoring political tracts and raised a vendel of infantry in service to the nascent Dutch republic, of which he serves as its hopman.
SCA History[edit | edit source]
I discovered the SCA as a senior at Oklahoma State and played with Northkeep (Tulsa) and Moonschadowe (Stillwater) before moving to An Tir and not playing for almost a decade. After moving to Kansas City in 2015, I began attending Forgotten Sea practices for a few months before formally rejoining the SCA, and attending events across Calontir in earnest.
- Current Group: Barony of Forgotten Sea (Kansas City, 2015-Present)
- Previous Groups: Barony of Northkeep (Tulsa, 2005-2006), Province of Mooneschadowe (Stillwater, OK, Early 2005)
- Offices & Service: Lilies 2018 arts & sciences coordinator; Calontir College of Heralds webminister (2016-2018); Forgotten Sea deputy webminister (2017-ongoing)
- Apprenticed to Mistress Jorunn Eydisardottir as of Kris Kinder 2017
Classes Taught (and Available to Teach)[edit | edit source]
- Introduction to Late 16th Century Europe, 1566-1610: Fall Rush 2016 (Lawrence, KS), Winterkingdom 2017 (Tulsa, OK), Lilies War 2017 (Smithville Lake, MO)
- The Birth of the Dutch Republic, 1575-1591: Winterkingdom 2017 (Tulsa, OK), Chieftains 2017 (St. Louis, MO), Lilies War 2017 (Smithville Lake, MO)
- Pike and Shot Warfare, 1530-1590: Lilies War 2017 (Smithville Lake, MO)
- Survey of Late Sixteenth Century Men's Clothing, 1570-1600: Clothier's Seminar 2018
- SCA Persona 101: Gryphons Fest 2017 (Warrenton, MO)