Hugo van Harlo
Interests: Late Sixteenth Century Dutch History, Cartography, & Print Culture[edit | edit source]
I am primarily a history buff, researching the history of the Dutch Revolt and early Dutch Republic and the socio-cultural context of Low Countries and lower Rhineland gentry. My focus is between the 1576 Pacification of Ghent and the 1591 withdrawal of Spanish troops to France.
I'm also interested in the golden age of cartography and the burgeoning print culture of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, two areas that have inspired my A&S competition entries thus far:
- Kingdom Arts & Sciences 2017: Entered Tri-Levels with a map of the Barony of Forgotten Sea and environs and a leatherbound book known as an album amicorum. The map won Judges' Choice.
- Valor 2017: Won the "Made On Site" A&S competition with a map of Vatavia in the style of the late sixteenth century.
- Queen's Prize 2017: Won Judges' Choice with a map of the northeastern Low Countries.
- Twelfth Night 2018: Entered a woodcut-style heraldic arms in pen, in the style of German printmakers.
- Kingdom Arts & Sciences 2018: Entered Tri-Levels with a Lilies War map and two late sixteenth century Dutch folksongs.
- Queen's Prize 2018: Won the Queen's Prize for my Regnum Calontirae Descripto, a large multi-sheet wall map of the kingdom.
Research & History Links[edit | edit source]
- Facebook Page: Facebook.com/RenaissanceNetherlands
- History/Research Blog: hugovanharlo.com
- Pinterest: pinterest.com/hugovanharlo/
Persona: Rural Dutch Gentry, c. 1575-1590[edit | edit source]
It is the early 1580s, and the rebellious northern provinces of the Low Countries fight for independence against Habsburg Spain. The realities of the war do not allow Hugo, Jonkheer van Harlo, to peacefully remain only a dutiful member of the local Overijssel gentry. Instead, he has taken to authoring political tracts and raised a vendel of infantry in service to the nascent Dutch republic, of which he serves as its hopman.
SCA History[edit | edit source]
I discovered the SCA as a senior in college and played for about two years before moving across the country and not playing for almost a decade. I became involved with the SCA again after moving to Kansas City in 2015.
- Current Group: Barony of Forgotten Sea (Kansas City, 2015-Present)
- Previous Groups: Barony of Northkeep (Tulsa, 2005-2006), Province of Mooneschadowe (Stillwater, OK, Early 2005)
- Offices & Service: Lilies 2018 arts & sciences coordinator; Calontir College of Heralds webminister (2016-2018); Forgotten Sea deputy webminister (2017-2018)
- Apprenticed to Mistress Jorunn Eydisardottir as of Kris Kinder 2017
Classes Taught and Available to Teach[edit | edit source]
- Introduction to Late 16th Century Europe, 1566-1610: Fall Rush 2016, Winterkingdom 2017, Lilies War 2017, Lilies War 2018
- The Birth of the Dutch Republic, 1575-1591: Winterkingdom 2017, Chieftains 2017, Lilies War 2017, Lilies War 2018
- Pike and Shot Warfare, 1530-1590: Lilies War 2017
- Survey of Late Sixteenth Century Men's Clothing, 1570-1600: Clothier's Seminar 2018
- SCA Persona 101: Gryphons' Fest 2017, Lilies War 2018
- Organizing Your Research, Tips & Tricks: Valor 2018
- Introduction to 16th Century Mannerism, an Art History Class: RUSH Fall 2018