Heralds Retreat 2019, Spring
General Information[edit | edit source]
- Date: 5th-7th April 2019
- Location: Sofya's Dacha (aka the Park House, directions below)
- Event Steward: Mistress Sofya la Rus
- Theme: Heraldic Letters of Mis-Intent and other heraldic foolishness.
Garb is optional.
For those with allergies, the house is over 120 years old, has two timid cats, one small hypoallergenic dog, and hardwood floors.
There are some tables and hardwood chairs, but if you want to be assured of comfortable seating and personal workspace, bring your favorite portable chair and something like a TV table.
For those with potential non-herald travel companions, the site is next door to a large city park with the usual park amenities, hiking/biking trails, frisbee golf, Frank Lloyd Wright museum, art museum, etc. all within walking distance. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p1_yHwsE_eon2GPGisoh8e2EN6E&usp=sharing
And there is lots of room for fighting in the backyard, if that seems necessary.
Accommodations[edit | edit source]
- Crash space
- 3 cots, one twin mattress, one full-size futon
- Blue bedroom - 1-2 people
- Green bedroom - 2, maybe 3 people
- Beige bedroom - 2-3 people
- Front bedroom - 3-5 people (full-size futon)
- Project room (on main level) - 6+ people
- Basement/dungeon - ? brave souls ?
- We have a football-field-size backyard for tents/small campers - if you're feeling optimistic about early April weather in northern Calontir
- MacNider Campground is 5 minutes walk across the river, for those who want to camp in a real campground (but may not open until mid-April!).
Schedule:[edit | edit source]
- Friday 8 pm - early arrivals
- 8 am - more early arrivals
- Leisurely breakfast at Hy-Vee East
- Discuss Order of Precedence vs Order of March, read the Letters of Mis-Intent, )
- Discuss more, snack, scavenge the local Re-Store for heraldic baton materials, Blazon-abble
- Consulting in a group
- Leftover snacks for breakfast
- 10 am - everybody out!
Directions:[edit | edit source]
The address is 718 East State Street, Mason City, IA, 50401
From I-35 North: Follow I-35 into Iowa to exit 197 and turn east (left) onto County Road B20 and go about 10 miles. Turn south (right) onto Hwy 65 and go about 3 miles to downtown Mason City. Turn east (left) onto State Street in downtown Mason City and go about one mile. The house is on the northwest corner on the left side of the street.
From I-35 South: Take exit 190 onto Hwy 27/18. Drive 6.6 miles and take exit 186 onto north Hwy 65. Drive 3.4 miles to downtown Mason City. Turn east (right) onto State Street and go 0.7 miles. The house is on the northwest corner on the left side of the street.
From Hwy 27 (Avenue of the Saints): Take exit 190 and turn north (right) onto Thrush Avenue. Go 2.4 miles and turn west (left) onto Business 18/4th Street SW. Go 2.5 miles and turn north (right) onto Illinois Avenue. Go 3 blocks and turn west (left) onto State Street. Go 0.8 miles and the house is on the northwest corner on the right side of the street.
The house is a white Queen Anne with a tower.
- Both sides of State Street
- Two driveways - one off State Street and one off Virginia Avenue.
- State Street driveway has room for 3 cars, but two will be "trapped" so best for Friday-to-Sunday guests
- Virginia Avenue driveway has room for 2 cars (don't worry about blocking the garage)
- Do NOT park on the street going down into the park (Virginia Avenue is a busy, narrow street).
Highlights:[edit | edit source]
- Insert here
Photos & Videos:[edit | edit source]
- Insert here
Comments and Impressions:[edit | edit source]
- Insert here