Category:Order of the Archaic Fewmet (OAFs)
Order of the Archaic Fewmet:
Award given to a subject who has committed an act of spectacular stupidity or "gentle/general mayhem." Fewmets are animals droppings, used by hunters to ID the animals they are tracking. -- Hrothgar (not an OAF, but I got some friends...) :)
The "model" was apparently the Order of the Dragon's Meat of the Midrealm, into which King Talymar and Queen Eislinn inducted Stephan Ironhand for his birthday singing.
From: Kirk Poore Date: May 25, 2011 3:06:04 PM CDT To: CALONTIR at listserv.unl.edu Subject: Re: [CALONTIR] Calontir story question ...
- Usually given for stirring pots that need stirring ("We're bored. Hey--What's that?"), raking up fun from from the floor and putting it to good use (such as veggie ball, scutum races, or courtyard miniature golf), and doing things that need doing which may be slightly out of the social norms (for example, locking up misparked golf carts, or returning them to their rightful parking areas--eventually).
- Privileges: Being the lowliest of the low, in a march order of precedence an OAF is allowed to go last should he or she choose regardless of other rank. If there is more than one OAF, they go in negative order (earliest last).
- There is no badge for the order, but traditionally the scroll is written in hatchet-hand on a brown paper grocery bag.
- Kirk Some time after Pavel and before Rhianwen and Ferd, chronologically
On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Ida Purkey wrote:
- In the process of reading about all of the Calontir antics. I was wondering if anyone other then me noticed how many "OAFS" have also been King.
- At least Valens, Kensor, Ferd, and more. Brain not fully up so could someone help me.
From: Steven Boyd Date: July 13, 2011 11:08:19 AM CDT To: CALONTIR at listserv.unl.edu Subject: Re: [CALONTIR] Lilies OAF
- Two shorthand descriptions I use:
- Just as a Pelican is, by the instructive myth of Our Society, willing to shed her own blood in service to the Society, so is an OAF willing to sacrifice his self-dignity for the entertainment of the masses.
- An OAF is a lifetime achievement award for goofiness.
- Andrixos OAF #15
Riddle Two from the Martyrdom of Rhianwen ferch Bran ap Gruffydd[edit | edit source]
A grinning mind-house . gave birth to me Pain was the coin that paid that price Blows shrewdly given shared amongst all I have been the wolf wild in the woodland I have been the acorn striking from the oak I have been the falcon flying above the folk I have towered above all a rock many times triumphant I have wielded swords scythe-like sweeping I have reached the sky climbing with verdant skill I have lost my name but none fail to know me I have held tridents with trampling cavalry I have been the trillium tracking doomed prey These things and more throughout my time I have become. How, then, am I called? -Rhodri ?
Explanation: A grinning mind-house . gave birth to me Mind-house is a kenning for skull, and grinning emphasizes that idea. Probably the single most important skull in Calontir history, at least heraldically speaking, was Humpk. This line refers to a fairly busy day, 5 November 1983 when Pavel was named the first OAF. That was also the day that Humpk stepped down and Cire took the princely throne. Cire and Elizabeth apparently named Pavel an OAF. Pain was the coin that paid that price/Blows shrewdly given shared amongst allThese two lines taken together have only two words that matter. Pain and shared. I'm sure you get it now. I have been the wolf wild in the woodland - Kensor.
I have been the acorn striking from the oak - the acorn is Roderick and the oak is Kirk.
I have been the falcon flying above the folk - Fernando. I have towered above all a rock many times triumphant - Valens with a tower on his device, the rock many times triumphant. I have wielded swords scythe-like sweeping - Gilligan from Sing Calontir. I have reached the sky climbing with verdant skill - Marcus, with ivy on his device and a love for rocketry.
I have lost my name but none fail to know me - Drix, whose registered name is oft forgotten but all know him. I have held tridents with trampling cavalry - Rhianwen's device is a seahorse holding a trident.
I have been the trillium tracking doomed prey - Adrielle.
Link to the On-line Order of Precedence:[edit | edit source]
This category currently contains no pages or media.